Friday, October 06, 2006

Friday Night Light on bad memories

Speaking of song lyrics, the radio station I listen to at work has been playing "The Great Joe Bob."

At least it has been during the late, late night rotation when you're aware that everyone else listening is either stoned or coming down from a post-armed-robbery high.

Anyway, chances are you've never heard it. It's not a great song. The tune is very ohhm-pa-pa driven, and the subject itself is obscure. But the wierd thing is that the subject is close to my heart.

Here's the chorus:
He was the pride of the backfield,
Ahhh the hero of his day.
Yeah, he carried the ball for the red and blue,
They won District Triple-A.
An' his name made all the papers
As the best they'd ever had.
Yeah, so nobody understood it
When the Great Joe Bob went bad.


The song tells of the downfall of Joe Bob. I don't really care.

What's cool is that it's Lubbock-centric. He goes to Texas Tech. And the "Red and Blue" refers to Monterey's colors, my high school.

The tune even ends with a portion of the Monterey school song, played in a minor chord. It's enough to send me into a fetal position under a table, unable to contain my old, old shame.

For those curious, the song lyrics I found on the net were listed under Terry Allen. I have no idea if what I've heard lately is his version or what. It's an old song that I first heard at a high school assembly. I remember it well.

(Shudder/dive under desk).

No comments: