Thursday, April 06, 2006

Third letter, few cuts

That first one seemed kinda long ...

Folks –

Spent the last three days moping around, after watching Tech go down in the Cotton. It’s with bitter irony that the Segrists had to watch the Raiders of Red get beaten by a kick so bad that the ball should have refused to go through the uprights as a matter of principal.

But I can’t complain too much, for I can tell my children and grandchildren -- in passing decades hence -- that I lived in the era when Doug Flutie brought back the drop kick.

Anyway, it’s good to say howdy to folks during times like these, and by “times like these” I mean the time spent waiting for the Black-Eyed Pea video “My Humps” to download.

The job is OK. For review, I’m working the graveyard shift at a retirement center in Stephenville. The place is a bit weird, in that the owners used to be in the antique business, and they apparently moved all of their leftovers in the home to decorate, most of the leftovers are Victorian-imitation art of paintings or marble statues. You can imagine that, in the dead of night, when you’re tired and over-caffeinated, there are times when you almost have to ask the creepy marble bust of the ugly lady to quit looking at you.

It got freaky at Christmas. The place had a large nativity scene with two life-sized mannequins dressed up as wise men … One problem -- they were obviously women mannequins, down to the pouty lips, eye makeup and teased-out hair. Yeah, an absolutely fabulous time was had at the birth of our Lord.

Random thoughts on 281:
Highway 281 connects Hico to Stephenville and is a 25-minute stretch of road that I spend a lot of time on. Thing is, I only drive after dark at night and before sunrise in the morning, so there’s not a lot of scenery for distraction. This causes my mind to ramble:

-- I found a good barbecue place in Stephenville. What bugs me is the atmosphere of cutesiness throughout the joint, from the pastel scenery paintings to the “Homemade ‘Nana Pudding” on the menu. So, I’m wondering: Great barbecue places generally eschew cute decoration, but, if the cute decoration is not eschewed, does the barbecue itself suffer? Doesn’t really matter, the place in Hico can’t do brisket for shit.

-- A lot of fat raccoons like to sleep along this road.

-- Listening to JACK FM, I’ve discovered I’m a real sucker for women singing light-alternative rock songs:

If you want to,
I can save you.
I can take you away from here.
So lonely inside,
So busy out there,
And all you wanted was somebody who caaieeer-eee-yairs.

Awwwwwh … that’s so sweet!


Note: This post brought me my first hate mail, with Jenn angry for the quotation of Michelle Branch. Really, I don't know these people's names. Just found it catchy.

No comments: