Monday, September 15, 2008

Fall falls, notes

A hurricane isn't all bad.

This hit me last night, as the temp cooled down to 60 degrees for the first time since April. Yep, those ultra-low pressure systems are good for sucking up all of the hot air for hundreds of miles around.

Around Fort Worth, it was almost like a holiday. Everyone was outside -- taking the kids to eat, running up and down the block like an idiot, etc.

It was such a pleasant evening, I tried to take a picture of the full moon with my camera.

Nope, didn't work out too well.

Ike-AH!

Of course, I note the good things about the hurricane only as random thoughts after seeing and worrying about the state of Southeast Texas. I spent a year down there and had a pretty good time.

The damage is going to cause a lot of heartache, but I'm glad that the death toll hasn't been disastrous.

I did get a little annoyed this morning when hearing about some of the rescued people from Galveston. First off, I hear that about 40 percent of the population did not leave, even when the government was practically begging them to go. Even considering the island's history with hurricanes.*

But hey, if you're willing to take your chances, that's ultimately your business. I get irked, however, when I hear radio reports that the people who decided to stay put are now complaining that rescues are taking too long. And you expected what?

Sick at last, sick at last

Sam's nose started running Sunday. Last night, it was running so bad that he had to labor breathing while he tried to sleep. He didn't get much rest, and neither did mama and daddy.

Today he's running a 102 temperature, and just left to go to the doctor.

You hate to see your kid sick, but, on the other hand, it's kind of relief to get it out of the way. Eleven months old, and Sam hasn't had any kind of sickness to speak of since he's been born. It makes you worry that the first time he catches something, it'll be really, really serious.

So, it's a relief to see this happen, though it was a bigger relief to see him doing better by the time he and mama finally left for the doctor's office.

In the meantime, Meredith's nose is already running. And I feel like I already have a target on my back.

*If you get a chance, read Isaac's Storm. It's an excellent book about the worst natural disaster in U.S. history.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave T says...

Congrats on your first illness as a parent. And be ready to get sick, too. Those kids carry great germs.

In the first 10 years of my career (pre-Austin), I called in to work sick 0 times. In the next 5, I occasionally took advantage of the system. In the past 1.5 (as a parent), I have been actually sick at least a dozen times.

Anonymous said...

I heard some fool on the radio complain because he hadn't seen anyone from FEMA and he had to cut his way out of his house through the roof. Left his two dogs behind of course!!!!! He was safe in San Antonio at the taxpayers expense.