Monday, October 29, 2007

Deadwood: Best TV show ever

I just tore through the third season.

The storylines -- completely unpredictable. The characters -- deeply flawed, honorable, allowed to stay in character by the plot lines. I'm still amazed by the writing -- Shakespearean, but in a way I enjoy it, and kinda sorta understand it.

It resonates especially well with me when I watch -- usually at about 3:30 a.m. and there's nothing else but me and Sam and Sam's bottle.

The sad thing is that HBO, in a tradition of ending series in ways to piss people off, ended this without bothering to resolve any of the driving story lines. Oh well. I'd been warned.

Still. Just like I can appreciate the one season of Firefly, I can appreciate three seasons of Deadwood.

I'd recommend it to anyone. Except maybe my parents, who might have trouble dealing with all the cussin', whorin' and over-the-top graphic violence.

No comments: