Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Good Knight, night

The news that Bobby Knight was resigning made me want to talk to someone, and I had ESPN on all day at work. It's interesting -- I got a call from a friend who had just seen the story at the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal web site, before anyone else had it. It was interesting to watch it blow up.

I thought I would have something lengthy to say about Knight, but I don't. He did good things for Tech, he's a complex guy who scares the hell out of most of the people he comes across. I'm sad. I listened to Knight being lionized, I listened to the usual scorn heaped upon Texas Tech.

But all of these things had been covered by ESPN and sports radio by the time I got home*. Even the headline for this post has probably been used 800,000 times in the last 30 years. So, no reason to join this conversation.

It's over. Good luck to Pat.

*Actually, one thing I didn't hear discussed was how much his personna, or the perception of it, was influenced by the movie "Patton." It's obvious that the character Scott created, not necessarily the actual Patton, was the basis for the way the public interpreted "The General." I think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He donated more than $300,000 to the library at Tech. He will continue to fund raise for Tech projects. His kids have an amazing graduation rate. All in all he did good.