Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Obama ad sighting

I imagine everyone else, at least everyone else who watches more TV than I do, has see many.

But there it was for me, on Saturday, as I watched the Raiders of Red keep up their losing ways to Oklahoma.
"Something somethhing Obama, something something something Obama, and I approve this message."

The first primary campaign ad. For the coupla readers I have from out of state -- we don't get many nationalized campaign ads around here. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Presidential campaign ad. Our primary is too late, usually, to make a difference, and the parties don't even bother putting up a fight here in November.

We tend to save our campaign stupidity for the statewide elections.

And it gets pretty stupid. I still recall Tony Sanchez's run in 2004, where I knew nothing about his politics, only that he thought he could win by showing a video recording of Rick Perry trying to weasel his way out of a speeding ticket. And he showed that ad about 898,567 times per channel.

Perry: Can't you just let us get back on down the road?
Cue dark music.
Announcer: Rick Perry, why don't we just let HIM get back on down the road?
Good God. That'll be running around in my head until death for no good reason. I was worried, that, if Sanchez won, it'd be the theme of his governance.
  • Our campaign is back on the road ... and crossing the finish line ... with the most speed!
  • Let's put teenage pregnancy back on down the road!
  • Let's put roadway litter back on down the road!
  • Senate Bill 19, subset 55, regarding the taxation of natural resources under the management of non-native third party interests, can get back on the road.
I'd usually bemoan the fact that we're in for a short burst of this nonsense, but I'm kind of looking forward to it. We haven't seen two top national political campaigns desperate for votes go after each other like Rocky and the Russian for a long time. This should be kind of fun.

And it's good for newspapers, which might actually see some new ad revenue for once.

No comments: