Sunday, October 05, 2008

Like Bart Simpson on Snow Day

Staying homebound hasn't been a whole lot of fun lately.

First, the Star-Telegram had a story the other day on the beginning of the Oktoberfest season. One of my favorite college memories was whooping it up to the chicken dance in Addison. You could get a huge souvenir beer glass that would shatter within three weeks of purchase. Kind of surprising they've never been sued.

Second, the State Fair of Texas is in full swing. The local PBS station has been airing an excellent documentary on the history of the fair. I've loved the show ... it made me want to blow $30 on all the deep-fried whatever they've come up this year. (I believe the deep-fried grilled-cheese sandwich, served with tomato soup, won this year's tastiest award.)

I want to pet some exotic domesticated pigs from Australia. I want to wander among the merchants and decide not to buy a belt made from ostrich feathers. I want to be mildly intimidated by the thick crowds of young ruffians who fill the park at sundown.

And I want to spend 15 minutes just standing there, basking in the glory of Big Tex -- which started out as a giant Santa Claus, according to the documentary.

Also gleaned from the fair documentary:
  • The two biggest draws used to be strippers and gambling on horses.
  • When I first heard the phrase "Negro Day" in the movie Hairspray, I thought it was an over-the-top satirical slam. Not really. The state fair had it's own "Negro Appreciation Day" each year -- the only day black people could participate in all of the exhibits. I can only imagine such days were part of most events all over the United States, before the civil rights movement.

No comments: