Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A few more notes

Teaching test
I put this up on Facebook, and then remembered that some of you have managed to avoid becoming ensnarled in that black hole of sentimentality and unnecessary updates.*

Anyway, I got the results last week from TExEs test, and managed to pass. The TExES test is a competency exam for wannabe teachers. It isn't the end of the road for becoming a certified teacher, but it is an important step, showing that you have a clue about the things you'll be teaching.

It's not easy, by the way. The questions are very extensive and the answers to choose from are often barely discernible. It was a long, focused, all-day exam and felt like having a baby. And I feel like I have the authority to make that statement.

*"I'm going shoe shopping. I think I'll share that with 68 people I haven't seen in years. Perhaps they'll wish me luck."

On the TV
Just a couple of recommendations. One, I went through the first season of "Flight of the Conchords," last week. It's often comedy gold. It's a different kind of funny than what I've gotten used to seeing. Mainly, it's not really all that hostile. I think the success of Seinfeld turned just about every comedy offering over the past decade into a contest of insult throwing. This Conchords just seems gentler.

I posted a video of their's a while back, here's another one, "Tape of Love." Ignore the first seconds of black.



I'll just note that the songs aren't as strong at the end of the season as they were at the beginning. Joke songs must be hard. I imagine that's why Wierd Al generally waits a decade between albums.

Also: Friday Night Lights. Best Season Ever.

Hope for the Aggies
This man has hope in spades. And by "hope," I mean "apparent head trauma."



The main funny is in the first couple of minutes. But he does a good job of keeping it real all the way through.

No comments: