Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Trek

Update: OK. Correction in comments, followed by another comment by me, followed by another correction. At this point I'm giving up on ever saying anything about Star Trek that I don't know to be an absolute truth. Like, apparently, Spock is at least partially some other species than human. I will point out, however, that the belt buckles in the movie still look ridiculous.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Netflixed Star Trek: The Motion Picture the other night and found it average.

Strange how your memory can change things. The movie, in my mind, was great. I saw it in theaters, when it first came out about 50 years ago. Mainly, I had no idea what was going on. Something about a bald lady with a flashlight in her throat. But I thought the pictures were purty.

Since then I had seen bits of it here and there but never watched the whole thing through, and it’s pretty good in bits and pieces.
An art museum in Abilene ran an exhibition by the artist who came up with the special effects, and it was impressive enough to make me begin to think that the movie had been unfairly dismissed (Trekkies usually argue between I and V as the worst, I think).


And then I watch it again, and:

  • The special effects people were way too proud of their product. We have about five sequences of shuttles flying by the Enterprise. These sequences usually end with fascinating, minute-long scenes of shuttles backing up into the Enterprise docking bay. Parking in space! This stuff doesn’t stay current, and good directors understand that.
  • Stupid side story: So you have this big energy cloud thing that’s larger than the sun, that’s destroying anything that looks at it, that’s on a direct course for earth. You, the new captain of the Enterprise, take off to meet it after giving up your chair to Starfleet legend Kirk, and you spend the majority of the trip there whining. “Woe, Kirk took my job.” “Woe, will my love with the weird bald chick ever be rekindled?” “Woe, will I ever appear in another film besides Brewster’s Millions?”

  • A plot that turns on a “no freakin’ way” idea. The big surprise at the end is that V’ger is a Voyager space probe sent out by earth to explore space. We’re told that this probe gathered so much knowledge that it somehow translated into consciousness, then, happy day, it runs into a planet populated by conscious machines, which build it a ship to return to earth. OK, the series has always had to wreak havoc with the laws of physics to move the plot along, but now it’s screwing with the laws of computer programming. A probe, which is really a kind of telescope joined to a radio transmitter, becomes “I prefer CSI to Law and Order” conscious?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No no no. The Voyager didn't evolve consciousness. It was just out there floating around, learning stuff and then got whacked by a meteor or something. The machine-planet machines found it and rebuilt it - and then gave it consciousness - and it became V'ger. Maybe I just know that 'cause I read the book.

Also, what you find out in the book, is the purty bald lady comes from a race with mega-pheramones that make human guys pop a boner whenever she comes in the room. Notice Sulu's expression the first time she comes on the bridge.

Also, I guess earth-tones were big back in '78 or '79, whenever it came out.

Also, interesting that the new captain guy wound up hooking up with the whale-chick from ST-IV on Seventh Heaven.

Also, at least the new captain guy in STTMP was better than Cameron from Feris Bueler as captain in whatever Star Trek movie it was with Whoopi Goldberg and Malcom McDowell. I lost count of 'em after STV.

Also, STV was definitely the worst. I heard there was a bootleg version floating around that had been MST3K-ified - would've loved to have seen that.

Seagraves said...

OK. I'll go with you. But the movie is unclear on exactly when V'ger wakes up, seemed like Spock said something about him (it) obtaining so much knowledge that it obtained consciousness itself.

One other detail: The new captain was supposed to be the son of the first Star Trek captain, the one Kirk replaced in the series pilot. I learned this because I was going to various Star Trek sites yesterday, trying to find a picture from STTMP with which I could make fun of the belt buckles everyone had on. An even worse costume idea than the fluffy padded pirate shirts they wore later.

Anonymous said...

The new captain was supposed to be the son of the first Star Trek captain, the one Kirk replaced in the series pilot.

No no no. He was the son of Commodore Matt Decker, the captain of the Constellation, which was attacked by the Doomsday Machine (a giant planet-eating device that looked like a big turd), but which he later destroyed by going kamikaze with the Constellation. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doomsday_Machine_%28TOS_episode%29.

God, I'm so ashamed that I know all of this.

Anonymous said...

Tempest in a teapot, indeed.

Anonymous said...

Anoymous, you sound like one of those 40+ year olds who can fluently speak klingon and have developed arthritis in your right hand for many years of making the Spock, "live long and prosper" peace symbol. Take a lesson from Sulu. Even he came out of the closet. As Shatner once said collectively to trekies -- GET A LIFE!

I mean no offense really. Just came across this and wanted stir things up. Adios!