Thursday, September 21, 2006

Hico livin

I don't have a lot of news to give here as to what's going on with life. Me and Meredith are working out various details, such as how we're going to live in the same house and such. Everything's in limbo.

The dogs are doing OK, though.

And then the dead came back ...
Driving to work a couple of nights ago, and I passed through a cloud of white something. It made no sense. It was too dry for fog. It had no chemical odor. It wasn't dust. It was just a cloud of God knows what.

When I was in Beaumont, I'd leave work some nights and smell this chemical haze, like a mixture of rubbing alcohol and new tires. I at least had some idea of what that was, and I knew I'd be leaving town before I started getting those strange facial bumps sported by about a quarter of the population.

This stuff in Stephenville, no idea.

Where everybody knows your name, damnit
Suddenly, half the people I run into in town see me and ask the question, "You're (name withheld)'s son, aren't you?"

I say yes, and then stumble through a conversation about how they know me. It's not a fun thing. I've always been, and always will be, horrible with names. The talk always goes to someone they expect me to know, who I don't know, so I have to give a fake, "Oh, yeah, him."

I liked the fact that I could live in a town of 1400 and be unknown. I preferred the strange and occasionally hostile looks I got from people as I rode by on my bike. I guess it couldn't last.

Coming soon
Photos. Taken by me. Maybe. I've promised myself I'm going to figure out how to work this bitch.

No comments: