Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, Rutger-Howerd Plaza, Los Angeles, California, 90210

Got to see about half the show Monday night before I had to take off for work. I thought it was well-written, well-paced and ocassionally funny.

And I doubt I'm going to get into it -- for the same reason I never got into West Wing -- rampant smarminess.

The West Wing, and Studio 60 (at least last night) both revolve around the premise of rich people holding meetings and someone saying something brilliant that solves the problem. Then people implement the plan, fight for the plan, and drink very expensive drinks in tasteful bars while wearing suits.

For my experience, this is not the way the world works. Problems are typically solved at ground level. Meetings are generally where hope goes to die and dumb comes to roost.

I also don't get Amanda Peet's character. How does someone that nice become a major network president in her 30s? Are TV executives some completely different animal than what we've heard?

Anyway. I bet the show's going to be a hit. It's a matter of taste. It's not like there are a lot of shows out there where the adjectvie "well written" applies.

I'll just stick with "Deadwood", a show about people jumping from one disaster to the next, or "Battlestar Gallactica" where the only smarmy characters are robots, and they get blown up all the time.

No comments: