Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Working

Folks:

In the interest of being bored with censoring myself every time I write about finding a job, here's the current situation:

I'm now a platterer at the new H-E-B Central Market in Southlake.

For those of you unfamiliar with Central Market, it's a place that sells itself as the store for gourmets. And it has some great food, so long as you don't mind spending $3 on a tomato.

As a platterer, I work in the store's kitchen, which makes gourmet food you can take right home to your family. If you don't tell them you didn't make it, we won't! (wink).

Yawn.

My job is to take the finished dishes from the walk-in cooler, make them look aesthetically pleasing, and put them in the display case out in the front. I then refill as people buy.

There's plenty of other stuff involved, but that's it in a nutshell. I spend about half the day in a refrigerator. It's wired so that a klaxon alarm goes off if the temperature goes over 40 degrees. You make think this would be the perfect job for the sweatiest man alive, but he'd like to point out that summer is six months away.

And while I have had a lifelong passion about making food look pretty, $10.50 an hour does not make for a merry Christmas at the Segrist house. I have a couple of irons in the fire, we'll see how those turn out.

No comments: