Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Part-time fun

After two weeks, finally got back to the Denton Record-Chronicle to work a couple of shifts. I agreed to fill in part-time after I left. Finding a sports copy editor isn’t easy, and I needed the money.

I realized quickly what I didn’t miss: the rush at deadline and the lingering fear that hits you driving home that maybe you misspelled "Ohio" in a 70-point bold sans serif head on the front page.

But I have missed some things. Getting out of the house by myself. Coffee binging. Adult conversation (And by adult conversation, I mean a discussion over whether a blog post about Tony Romo’s face melting off pushed the envelope a wee bit much).

It was a little weird to be back. When I came in on Sunday, there was only one guy in the sports department, and all that he could manage after two weeks was an almost silent "eh" when I sat down. Yep, back in sports. Everyone treats everyone like a complete bastard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, you're a real winner there!

Seagraves said...

Yeah. I could be posting comments on random blogs at 5 in the morning, like the cool people.