Monday, April 06, 2009

Great food, did miss

I read this story in today's Star-Telegram with a mounting sense of frustration.
The Chef Point Cafe, hidden behind the gas pumps and beneath the Conoco sign, debuts tonight on the wildly popular Food Network program Guy’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.

The title of the episode? Funky Joints.

To celebrate with their fiercely loyal customers, husband/wife owners Paula Merrell and Franson Nwaeze are hauling in a 72-inch television, throwing up a hasty satellite connection and somehow cramming 75 people into their convenience store to eat and watch the show, which couldn’t have found a more improbably successful dive anywhere in the country.
I have driven by this place many times, as it's on the way to the cheap bread store. I have scoffed at the little awning over the door and the bars on the windows. I figured they have hamburgers the way that Allsups has burritos.*

Nope. Apparently the chef there is credited with putting together one of the most daring menus around, while still serving as one of the best greasy spoon diners in the state.

I've been passing over the best hamburger-and-lobster-bisque joint in the D/FW Metroplex, and spending my rare restaurant money at Taco Bell. With my wife taking a slice in her paycheck, we now have even less to spend on the luxury of prepared food. I might have to exchange my pennies for cash. A good cheeseburger is a sacred thing.

* Yes, all West Texas males wax romantic over the Allsup burrito, but this is because it keeps for a week at room temperature, even under the car seat, as Pat Green noted in song. As food, it doesn't even qualify as a burrito.

No comments: