Friday, April 03, 2009

Teaching fair

Going into my first teacher job fair, I attempted to adopt the attitude of the failed Cassanova.

A buddy of mine in college said he had an easy time talking to girls who were out of his league. He just assumed that the girl was out of his league, that nothing was ever gonna happen. He therefore removed all the pressure from any conversation and flirting with said girl. I think he even got a couple of dates this way.

Hence, I tried to get past my reluctance to sell myself, thinking all jobs were filled and I was way underqualified.

I felt like I had a few decent conversations.

Some observations:

  • The fair happened at UNT's old super pit. My alma mater is hardly familiar to me nowadays, things have changed so much.
  • I almost gave a resume to Glen Rose (only 25 miles from Hico), but I knew there was no way to work it out -- at least for now.
  • The lady from Fort Worth ISD said I was the second ex-journalist she had talked to.
  • They should have a time limit on refreshment restrictions. If the breakfast food is still out after three hours, take down the dang "school district representatives only" sign. I could have used one of those 80 bagels that you were about to throw away.
  • I don't know if the dude from Hurst-Euless-Bedford was brushing me off, but two eyerolls is a bit rude.

No comments: