Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cat-hat

I take it as a good thing that Sam has been so enthusiastic about getting a book read to him. A couple of weeks back, Meredith checked out a catalog of Dr. Seuss classics from the library, and the boy became even more enthusiastic about reading.

Brutally enthusiastic. Sam now lets us know it's storytime by bringing us a book and chanting "read! read! read!" -- while punching us in the face with said book to make sure we get the idea.

I can't say why he likes Seuss. The stories are far more complicated than the books he already has, and I can't really believe Sam understands what's going on. I guess the pictures and the rhyming and the expressions are easy for him to enjoy.

For me, it's a trip through some stories I'd almost forgot. Before this month, I couldn't have told you what happened in The Cat in the Hat, except what I vaguely remembered from the movie. Now I could tell you that the story seems to be an exploration of a child's conflicting need to behave and to act independently.

I was curious enough after reading it for the 50th time to see if I could locate the original film on YouTube. All I found was a clip. It's easy to see why the cartoon hasn't stayed with us. A Charlie Brown Christmas has a timeless message with iconic music. The Cat in the Hat comes off like a cheap variety show.

5 comments:

John said...

Nice post, although could you try rhyming more when referencing Seuss?

On a related note, have you tried feeding the boy green eggs and ham yet? After all, his name is Sam (I am, green eggs and ham...)

Seagraves said...

Strange thing was, I always thought Sam-I-Am was the guy who would not, could not, eat green eggs and ham.

But it would actually be
the guy saying "Try them, try them, you will see."

Anonymous said...

With a fox, in a box. In a house, with a mouse ...

Anonymous said...

Love your new News from Hico underline. Is that a Michael Vick reference?

Seagraves said...

No, just a recognition that Jim Haslett will be coaching in the new league. This site has a certain loyalty to Jim Haslett.