Friday, July 21, 2006

Happily nerding along

In a conversation where person brings up an Everquest character name: Melkor.

"Melkor?" I say. "He was the greatest of the Valar, and became known as Morgoth at his downfall into evil.

"Morgoth was the first evil head guy in Tolkien's universe, later replaced by Sauron."

I look at 10 more names from Everquest, all of them Tolkien related, I point out.

And the thought hits me: This sucks. I post once about Star Trek and get five comments, but Tolkien fans don't get near the traffic. (I have to admit I've been to some websites on Tolkien, and they all suck.)

So there's nothing to do with knowing this stuff. Star Trek fans can speak in Klingon and wear makeup and go to conventions.

What the hell can I do? Buy a sword that'll get me arrested if I carry it in public. Teach myself Elvish?

It's not fair.

Of course, the fact that we can't put our nerd kink on full glory is one of God's little blessings to Tolkien fans. So I won't complain too much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We Tolkien-holics keep a low profile, but keep searching. You'll find us. It is your destiny!

Anonymous said...

I've heard you speak Klingon, you did a fine job of pronouncing words in the language while humpint up McKittrick Canyon!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of wearing makeup and going to conventions ... http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,71459-0.html?tw=wn_index_4. This guys is always fun to read.