Monday, October 30, 2006

In house

The locksmith, who came over to re-key the doors, was an Israeli immigrant in a woefully beat-up car. He immediately started making fun of our color scheme.

So, three days of moving, and we still gots a hellacious amount of work to do. On top of things like finding a job, doing about 20 different emergency house projects. And now we're broke.

Anyway ...

We're happy with the house. It was owned by a couple of gay men who wanted some place bigger to live, and is in more or less decent shape. They did some good things with the house: Pirgo on the kitchen floor, a nifty painted concrete floor instead of carpet. They also did some bad things. Some very bad things, as you'll see.

Here's our street.


We're out of view, but we're right across from the beat-up pickup truck, which does not move, ever. I've seen some people come out and work on it, but with much the same expression as someone playing solitaire. Progress doesn't seem to be a goal.

Here's the house.

A front-on shot isn't practical, as there's too much bushes and junk in the way. Daddy needs a chainsaw.

Everything's in but we've still got a lot of unpacking.



And for the most visually arresting aspect:




I was warned seven times before I saw it. "It has a purple fireplace." At the time, I didn't care so much, I was desperate to move. Now, it pretty much sucks all your attention to it. It's a living thing. Man.

So just to go over the house:

Yellow walls, purple fireplace, and a surprisingly subtle burgundy curtain.

Here's Kibby checking out the backyard, and wishing for something evil to happen.

How do I know she's hoping for evil? Because she's a cat.

The dudes who used to live here were heavy into gardening ...

I mean heavy. It's probably the best thing about the place, so far.

The only concern is trying to keep enough stuff alive for the time being, until we know what we're doing.

And for my favorite part. They left this behind in the garage. My geek blood started pounding into my brain when I saw this.

I just gotta figure out which end to look through.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling, the walls are orange and blue. How could you neglect such a detail?

ylts said...

That fireplace is something - looks like it belongs on Peewee's Playhouse. Great yard!