Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Notes

Living in sin:
Me and Meredith have found a house. In Fort Worth, in the Keller School District. I’ll write more on this as I feel more and more confident about the deal. Tho I will say the fireplace is purple. (Not for long, that’s for freakin’ damn sure.)

The show begins tonight:

I have huge amounts of doubts about Friday Night Lights. (Or, as Conan O'Brian referred to it: The show where teenage boys stand out in a field and pose.)
Still, not a whole lot of shows are based in West Texas these days. I can only think of five off the top of my head.

I think I’ll live blog it tonight just for the hell of it.

Poooor Aggies:
Really, to a certain extent, I have sympathy. Losing like that is tough. Their fans are typically good folk. They aren’t scum, like those deranged lunatics of Baylor (cursed be their name!).

I was the only Tech fan in the bar, and the A&M people asked me to join them. I refused, as I hadn’t slept for about 24 hours, had had about two beers, and had no idea what might come out of my mouth.

It’s been fairly interesting to watch the reactions of Aggie fans this week. I still think Fran could save his job with wins over UT and OU, which is like saying, “Fran is toast.” It’s funny. My first reaction when they hired him was “Oh crap.” The man was hot. In every way.

To do some armchair psychoanalysis, he came to A&M thinking that he had landed a sweet cushy job that wouldn’t be as hard as his days at Alabama. Tech fans still remember a press conference, when, asked about the difference between the SEC and the Big 12, Fran responded that the SEC had no easy teams to beat. “There are no Texas Techs in the SEC.”

Nope, I guess not.

Still, I owe the guy a debt of gratitude. I was in Abilene while Fran and A&M were in negotiations. A sports writer at the paper wrote this mind bogglingly arrogant column telling A&M fans that Fran was playing them for a fool: He was just trying to get a bigger salary from Alabama and they were stupid for not seeing that. The column appeared the same day A&M announced they had reached a deal. The writer said that he didn’t go a week without someone bringing that up. Sweetness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see how that's "living in sin", unless you're talking about Sin, TX, which is just outside of Ft. Worth.