Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Sick at home

I have a strange job. I never went into sports journalism. Being the son of a coach, I have too much sympathy for athletes and I could never sum up the interest to care too much about the numbers and people and inside gossip that journalists have thrive on.

So, now I'm an asst. sports editor. The section is almost completely local, so not knowing too much about the national sports scene isn't that big of deal.

Still, because the conversation around the office revolves around people proving they know more than those dillholes on "Sports Center", I find myself going through the Star-Telegram's sports section much more carefully then when all I wanted to do was find info on Texas Tech.

Not much else to say here, it's just annoying. It's also a pretty major shift in brain resources, which is why I haven't been posting much lately.

Notes:

  • Couldn't make it to work today, and I'll leave the sick details as to why undescribed.
  • Spent the day re-acquainting myself with the way that the vast majority of daytime television has become primarily a kind of daycare for all the white trash jackals out there. The people who patrol our land much like the mob in ancient Rome. God forbid we lose Jerry Springer.
  • Wrapped up the TV watching with an episode of frontline that examined the state of newspapers in the country. Basic diagnosis: Bad. But everyone out there knows that.
  • I work at a newspaper that doesn't have a press in its building, just a couple of very large, empty rooms. That always freaks me out. It's like I'm in a car and can't hear the engine. The rest of the building is maybe 50 percent full. And we're considered to be in good shape.
  • "300." This is perhaps the next movie I'm willing to lay down money and leave the house to go see. Hope it doesn't lead to a massive disappointment.

No comments: