Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dumb women in the news

I got my fill of the whole Anna Nicole thing about a week ago. I'll occasionally see something on Britney that I'll laugh at, but, really, I have no plans to make myself an expert.

And, I'm willing to go out on a limb here and make this statement: The vast majority of women out there are not pop culture whores who would crawl over their dying mother to get the best angle for the pretty, pretty lights of the paparazzi flashing on the other side. I'm also relatively sure that most men agree with me.

At least one woman(Lynn Elber), who gets to comment on CNN, thinks that women should worry about their falling status:
The antics of wayward stars can make a sensible woman want a gender choice
other than "Female" to check on forms. For mothers of young girls, the
exaggerated value of celebrities and their wild-child escapades are a worrisome
trend.

She goes on to quote Bill Maher, who says that Hillary will not be elected until the day pop chicks decide the random naked crotch shot is a bad idea.

My first thought here was, does anyone take offense to someone making huge blanket statements that cover 50 percent of the world's population?

Secondly, does anyone out there apply the lessons they learned watching the "Anna Nicole" reality show to their own relationships. ("Hmmm... my wife just went on shopping spree, she must be whacked out on drugs and sleeping with five different men.")

It's always been fun to glance at the tabloids. Most people don't buy them.

But really, the reason this thing stuck in my mind is because of the assumption of the piece -- never spoken: If you're speaking of women and how "society" will react to them, what you're really talking about is non-women.

So: Men are control-freak maniacs who will use the foibles of Lindsey Lohan to bring you down.

Not buying it. I've seen plenty of men treat women like dirt, sure, and I've seen most blowing it off, sometimes just getting out of the situation to succeed somewhere else. I've also seen a lot of women tossing men around like a kid with a balloon. The majority of bosses in my life have been women. Some good, some bad.

And I don't have an overall point here, save maybe that, to look at the Anna Nicole affair and immediately think, "All women are taking a hit here," shows a strange focus in life.

No comments: