Monday, March 19, 2007

I didn't start the fire. And I won't be putting it out.

Wow. I must congratulate myself on that title. It's Billy Joel.

The word came through today that I will not be part of the Fort Worth Fire Department. While I still think I could do the job, it's confirmation of what I expected.

A lot of you probably knew about this, either filling out a survey or being contacted as one of my former bosses. That part, as well as the rest of the background check, went really well. Things went wrong in the board interview, the final step of the process.

I showed up thinking I had an honest chance, but it soon became apparent they thought that:
  • I was too inexperienced.
  • I was too old.
  • I was too obsessed with '80s group "The Outfield."
The application process was a lot of work, and it was a job I'd have loved. On the other hand, I'd have felt like slime for taking the job I currently have and then dropping it immediately.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. It was great that a lot of folks out there filled out surveys. Here's my favorite answer, from Todd:
*Please list any hobbies or activities in which the applicant participates.

He plays role playing games heavily. He's got a ring with +18 dexterity and his own +3 damage Axe, so he can tear down some flaming walls if he needs to. Here's a link to a video that shows him shooting lightening-bolts in a live action role playing game with his nerd buddies; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufaBKdY60w . He also keeps a blog (newsfromhico.blogspot.com) where he shares his deepest and darkest secrets. He’s a little overzealous when it comes to Harry Potter, so DO NOT slander Harry Potter in this man’s presence. His left foot is 2 sizes larger than his right. He has irritable bowel syndrome in one of his ears. He’s infected others with Creutzveld-Jacobs-syndrome though he’s never contracted it himself. He keeps a gimp.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

greatest rock song ever

Josie's on a vacation far away
Come around and talk it over
So many things that I wanna say
You know I like my girls a little bit older
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight

I ain't got many friends left to talk to
No one's around when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you
Stay the night but keep it undercover
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Trying to stop my hands from shakin'
Somethin' in my mind's not makin' sense
It's been a while since we were all alone
I can't hide the way I'm feelin'

As you leave me please would you close the door
and don't forget what I told you
Just 'cause you're right - that don't mean I'm wrong
Another shoulder to cry upon
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Yeah

I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight
I just wanna use your love tonight
I don't wanna lose your love tonight

Tonight

VmarksTheSpot said...

Sorry to hear about your not getting into the fire dept. I was rooting for you.