Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Journal Entry: The Chicken Fried Steak Attempt (No. 15)

Wednesday, April 4, 2007: I’m still going through the latest operation with a certain amount of doubt. The meat was fine, the gravy was the best I’ve ever created, but the texture of the crust was a soggy failure. No crispness. At all. A chicken fry from the swamp monster served on a humid day.

Any number of reasons could explain this – wrong temperature, meat too greasy, God hates me – but I feel like I’m stumbling in the dark here. I think next time I’ll try less grease and more flour.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wife has a good CFS recipe. It is fool proof. I know this because, with it, this fool created a pretty darn edible chicken friend steak. I'll try to find it and send it to you.

Seagraves said...

It would be appreciated, so long as it doesn't involve deep frying. Such things are evil.

Anonymous said...

The trick is, you have to double-dip your meat. You need a copy of the Threadgill's cookbook. For general Texas type cooking recipes. It has a good CFS recipe. I will forward it to you.

- Anonymous Tom.