Saturday, April 14, 2007

Movies

My favorite movie critic is Stephen Hunter of the Washington Post, and my first thought when I saw the info for "Pathfinder" -- about a white boy raised by the Indians, who then goes out and protects his brown people from other white boys -- was "I hope Stephen Hunter reviews this."

Booyah --
Stephen Hunter's review for "Pathfinder."
"The record shows that Native Americans were extremely adaptable warriors, who quickly solved tactical problems offered by technologically expert foes. Ask the 7th Cavalry; they know that tale all too well."

I've written about this before. White anthropologists in the 60s and 70s tended to view Indians as peaceful, non-thinking folk who followed the exact same peaceful paths for every generation. Therefore, the only people capable of saving them from change were white anthropologists casting themselves in the role of hero. That this kind of thinking is pretty much academically dead doesn't mean people can't make a movie.

Then, as a bonus, Hunter also reviewed the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie and enjoyed it. Good days.

Yes, I'm still using "Booyah." Leave me alone.

No comments: