Saturday, November 01, 2008

Drama in the classroom

So on Monday, we're reviewing for a trig test this week. Our original professor has been out because of back surgery, so a T.A. has been running the class for about a month.

I don't think I noticed this the first time I was in college, but in every class I've taken so far there's been a student (or two) that has to ask a question every five damn minutes. And usually that question is, "Why don't I understand what you just said?"

Monday's version: The teacher was working through a problem, and the dude who is always pronouncing his stupidity goes freaking ballistic when the teacher wrote: 2*2 = 4.

Seriously. "That looks like 2.2 = 4 to me."

Teacher becomes peeved. "Folks, this is fourth-grade stuff here." That brings other students into the fray, saying they've just been insulted.

Teacher leaves class for 30 seconds. Then she comes back in, angrily slamming papers together and canceling the class, about 10 minutes after it started.

Me and Meredith talked about it. The teacher should have calmed things down, instead of making it worse.

But we also talked about kids today: Asking 80 questions in a class and not caring that you're slowing the whole thing down; Practically begging for someone to insult you so that you can react with righteous indignation. And, most importantly, thinking that being dumber than a box of rocks is something to show with pride along with your school colors.

I'm trying to think of this as good training for what I'm about to face -- although I'm pretty sure the average junior high student is going to be smarter than what I'm seeing now.

Otherwise, all I know is that I've made a low B on a test for the first time since returning to college, when everything else has been an A.

School drama -- not good.

No comments: