Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Notes, cause I need to post

Sam began imitating us talking on the phone this week. He does this by picking up a block and holding it to his ear and jabbering. He's gone so far as to gesture. All the child development stuff we've read told us to expect this, but it's fun when you actually see him doing it.

Of course, he refuses to do it on camera, but here are a few pictures of the latest.



Not to complain, but I will ...
I reached a new level of brain death on Monday.

Five hours of sleep after trying to write a short story. Waking up early for some reason. Two math classes. One math test. Attempting to work more on short story. Going to creative writing class, and listening to 13 other people read their unfinished short stories.

At least I slept well last night. Still, as far as a time in my life where I feel like I'm just treading water, it really felt like I was up to my ears.


Yaaay
"I was expecting another celebratory "Yahooo!" post from you," Meredith told me after she got back from work Saturday night.

I said that, while I was supremely satisfied with Tech beating Okie State, it wasn't the same thrill of beating a No. 1 team, and a No. 1 team that happens to be UT, at that. Besides, I'd written too much about football lately, and I know that gets to be a downer for people who could care less.

But I've changed my mind since. Exactly how many times in my life is my favorite team going to be this good and do these things? My knowledge of sports is basic, but the affection I have for Texas Tech goes to my background and my memories. It's the same reason anyone loves a team -- the team is part of your identity.

I'm still not euphoric. I'd thought we'd need two miracles this season, and so far we've had one against the Longhorns. I have no idea how we're supposed to beat OU -- similarly talented offense, but a much higher talent level overall.

(The article also quotes "fan" Gary Ashby, which is kind of funny to me because Ashby comes up virtually any time someone does a story on Tech fans. He's a former baseball coach and played for my Dad.)

Most Tech fans are now hoping for a win and secretly praying that we just play decent.

Memories of all those years -- when we just wanted to go to the Cotton Bowl and couldn't get over the hump -- are still fresh in our heads.

Still, I'm just happy with the ride so far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Texas Tech machine was pretty awesome last Sat nite. People who were there were really impressed. We've beaten OU there once and here several times. Depends on which team shows up.

Anonymous said...

He's the most adorable child ever!