Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Diet: And so it begins.

I realized yesterday where the stress from not having a job lined up and starting a new career went. Mainly, it went into several dozen three-donut breakfasts, two-sandwich lunches and "Fire sale, take it all!" dinners I've had over the last year.

I know this because as soon as I cut off the food supply yesterday, the stress bounced up and started poking me in the eye like Curly in the three stooges. I'm hoping this is like breaking off an addiction -- the first day's the worst, then things get better. Thirty-six pounds to go.

Two things I hate about dieting. First, I really love food. I've lived my life surrounded by good cooks, and I've spent a good part of my adulthood trying to learn how to cook. And now that I can, it's boiled chicken and veggies time.

Second, it feels like my brain doesn't function good when I cut back on the fat. I don't know why this is, but it's definitely there. I recall my wife saying she felt like an idiot the entire time she was breast feeding. I think it's the same thing here. No food translates into bad mind thoughts. We're like Elaine on Seinfeld when she gave up sex.

Anyway, here's the official diet plan:
  1. Eat healthy stuff.
  2. Don't eat much of it.
I'm hopeful that'll get me through. All meals will be planned in advance, no deviations allowed.

Feel the love. Feel the love.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't use the word diet. Just say eating right. Diet puts your mind in a funk!!

Anonymous said...

I disagree with the not eating much of it. Really, eat all the plain veggies you want. It takes as many calories to digest them, in most cases, as are in the items themselves.

Anonymous said...

Take a look at "You on a Diet". Don't eat less; eat smart. It's a good plan. Plus, a lot of it is in cartoon form, so it shouldn't be to draining on your mental capacity at this time of diminished thinking.

Anonymous said...

and how are we doing??