Friday, March 27, 2009

What do dogs get sick as?

Jimbo, my faithful and utterly destructive dog friend of the last dozen years or so, has been seriously ill* for the last couple of weeks. I've been attempting to nurse him back to health, with some success, but we're not over the hump yet, and it may still be getting close to his time.

Him, and much more obviously my Grandad passing away a few weeks ago, has had me feeling kind of low, and I haven't been able to focus much on the writing or keeping the "30 posts in 30 days pledge." Sometimes the writing helps, but I've found I don't write much when in a general and districted state of bhumitude.

So, just thought I'd let y'all know.

*He just stopped eating a couple of Sundays ago. I thought he'd get over it, but he hadn't four days later, at which point I took him to the vet. She took $400 from me, showed me some graphs and some neat little x-rays, and otherwise told me she hadn't the slightest.

I had him on drugs for a few days, but they just seemed to make him more sick, so I cut them off. Since then, I've been feeding him by hand, encouraging him to drink water, and taking him on slow short walks every day. He's improved, but not nearly enough. He still looks like a walking skeleton with black hair and drool. But at least he's here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes being here is not a good thing. Just be sure he isn't hurting. We waited too long for Beau.

Anonymous said...

How is Jimbo?