Saturday, November 04, 2006

Checking out the kit

Spent Friday applying for all of one job (I had planned to hit four). I ended up in Grapevine, filling out an interminably long application to work for the city. Among the questions: Fill out all felonies and misdemeanors you have ever pled guilty or no contest to, including traffic tickets.

Traffic tickets? Going back to when I was 17 and got too much mousse on the steering wheel? Screw you guys.

But I didn't go home. I filled out what I could and got back on the road. Traffic was crawling on route 114. The cars, two by two, crawled down the hill in front of me, over the next hill and over the next. I really started to miss Hico.

I headed out for a bit of therapy. "Therapy" being defined as going to Cabela's and checking out camping equipment and guns. Happiness is turning on the animatronic camping dude and hearing him talk about shooting elk. Another good thing about where I live: Cabela's is only 10 minutes away.

Another good thing about my neighborhood: The high school students of nearby Fossil Creek refer to my area as "Slummerfields." I am one with the people.

The world wise children in the neighborhood:
Three 9-year-olds walking down the street.
First kid: My girlfriend said it was stupid.
Second kid: You are in a world of hurt, my friend!

No comments: