Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Reader response

First off. As there has been a fair amount of commentary on the Truck That Does Not Move, I thought some visualization was in order:
There she is. Kind of beautiful, in a way. You'll notice the trash bags in the back I mentioned earlier are gone. Don't know where they went, but I can safely rule out at least one mode of transport.

And I got this question last night:

Should you change the name of the blog now that you are no longer living in Hico? Or are you in a "Hico state of mind" while trapped in one of The Big City's suburban rings of hell?

I have given a little thought to this, going so far to come up with alternative names: "820 & 35W", "Eight blocks from Watauga", and, my favorite, "Buttonwood!!" (You have to say it like the Pilsbury Doughboy.)

But I'm keeping the original name. Mainly because it's easy for people, especially myself, to remember, and it does carry the higher meaning that Hico's on my mind. And the hope that, someday, I'll return to Hico -- I just have to work out the details of coming into a large amount of money very quickly. And finding a steady, well-paying job that doesn't involve teaching, in a rural area.

So for now, the state of my dream of a Hico return parallels the state of the Truck That Does Not Move.


She looks kind of sad in this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a Beaut! Are you sure you didn't find her out at the farm when you finally mowed the high grass?

Anonymous said...

I have a TTDNM in my neighborhood too. It only recently appeared and it's been there for around 3 weeks now...with a single flat tire....not to imply that it only has one tire. It has four, but one is flat.

Anonymous said...

can we assume that thing ain't got a Hemi?