Monday, November 13, 2006

Eye candy/Industrial accident

Driving home from the latest round of job applications. On Keller Parkway, just north of Fort Worth.

I notice this truck is pulling into a construction site, up and to the right of me. I've never seen this before, but the top of the trailer is covered by a mesh tarp, which apparently extends like a convertable rooftop.

Like I said, I've never seen this before, but I'm seeing it now because the mesh tarp is extended up over the cab, like a convertable with it's roof stuck between open and closed.

Apparently the driver doesn't know this, as he begins to pull under power lines that are too low.

You can guess what happens: The power lines get caught in the tarp thing, and are pulled tighter and tighter until ... thwap ... the tarp comes unhinged and the power line twangs like bow.

The coolest part: The power line bounces up and hits the line on top of it. This results in a "POP" and a flash as the surrounding air converts immediately to ozone. Cars are pulling over to the side of the road in shock. Telephone poles are vibrating wildly for a quarter-mile down the line.

Sweet. (And no one was hurt.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having recently suffered an injury due to an accident at work I am considering my options, due to the injury I have been unable to work and have not been receiving sick pay, does my boss have an option to pay me or is it dependent on circumstance? I can’t afford not to have money coming in but can’t work should I sue him or do I need a legal professional to speak to him for me? I have seen all those adverts on television about industrial accidents and people for silly amounts of money, am I entitled to a claim, I don’t want to post personal details but I was working away and fell off something because the support wasn’t secure and broke and I have injured myself!