Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Actual news from Hico

On my latest trip, I had a chance to peruse the mid-April edition of the Hico News-Review:
  • For the third time in three years, proponents of a rule allowing the sale of alcohol in town (more or less) have successfully put the issue on the ballot. I was made aware of this by the appearance of three letters to the editor, all in opposition. No letters appeared in support. This is because anyone who did write a pro-beer letter can expect to called out on Sunday in front of the the Baptist or Church of Christ congregations. I don't want to think about what the Seventh-Day Adventists would do.
  • Putty was trampled by a bull last month and is in recovery. We all wish him well.
  • The Hico track and field team won a district championship. Coverage includes a picture of a hurdler who won gold, despite the fact that she jumps with both of her hands above her head.
  • The editor of the paper broke a six-week stint (more or less) of writing columns that consisted of: "Sorry folks, too busy to put a column together this week." (His picture and by-line were still included.) His broke his silence to talk about Putty, and wishing him well.
  • This is why I want to live there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your reasons for wanting to live there are my reasons for never telling anyone that I am from there. hahah!!! How it is going? Everything is great here congrats on going back to school. Pam

Seagraves said...

Thanks. School is definitely keeping me busy, but it's just part of muddling through for the next two years until I get a job.