Thursday, May 31, 2007

Pig debatin'

So I saw this at work today:

From AP




"Stone made news last week when the world learned of his massive kill, a 1,051-pound feral hog, which he shot eight times with a pistol on a hunting preserve in eastern Alabama. But the young man soon found himself in a media maelstrom when some Web sites questioned the veracity of the photographs."

And just to add to the conversation as this makes it's way around the internet: The boy was right in what he did do.


I'm not much for hunting. Don't like to see bunnies and doves go into their death shudder. But I don't have a problem with people who do. It usually turns into good eating.


My point here, though, is that shooting this sucker kind of transcends the normal ethics of hunting. I heard one girl at work mention that this hog took three hours to die, and it was most likely not a happy death.


On the other hand, something this big, out in the wild, is going to be a menace to everything around it. Imagine taking the dogs for a walk, and you run into one of these suckers. Do you think anyone's getting out of that one unscathed?


I therefore side for the killing of the giant pigs, with extreme prejudice.


Also, I like bacon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Check out the latest from the AP: The hog wasn't feral, he was raised by a family and turned over to the game preserve when they didn't want pigs anymore. Most likely he was a tame. His name was Fred.

Seagraves said...

I don't know. It still doesn't change my opinion on bacon.